Thursday, March 11, 2010

Today's data

I still want to hear from readers about topics to cover (see previous post) but this one caught my eye. To wit (or twit):

The U.S. trade deficit narrowed to $37.29 billion in January, the Commerce Department said. A 1.7% decline in imports outpaced a 0.3% drop in exports as the volume of oil imports hit its lowest level in more than a decade.

There is something perverted and innately evil in this report. The trade gap narrowing is a good thing when you are a debtor nation but look how it was done. Imports fell more than exports! Oh, I am all warm and fuzzy now.

When exports actually start to rise, we can talk. This report tells us the economy is still shrinking.

2 comments:

UneedMe said...

Yea Michael, I'd like to know if you know why the media would continue to blackball the man who has the best track record over the past 3 years, Mike Stathis of AVA Investment Analytics. All of the financial media mafia have banned him. If you aren't aware of this I think you need to check his forecasts and ask why this man has been intentionally kept for main street investors. Americans have had about enough of the lying media with their hand-picked "experts" with lousy records. Stathis is also offering a $100,000 reward for anyone who can show he doesn't have the best record out there. Barron's editors know him, CNBC knows him, they all know him but they have chosen to keep him out of the loop. More people are finding out about him and how the media banned him and its ticking people off.
http://www.avaresearch.com/article_details-341.html

Michael Kahn said...

What does this have to do with my post?

As a member of the media (sort of), I can say you are dead wrong on any deal with Wall Street. Any reporter would give an arm to break a story that throws Wall Street firms or execs under the bus.

Why has he not been quoted? Let's start with a website that is chock full of typos and work up from there. It looks like one giant infomercial to me.

I welcome any market analysis he cares to offer and if I can use it in my column (remember, it is technical analysis oriented) then I will. However, I will not tout anyone's record once I verify it for myself.