Monday, April 15, 2013

Why?

The events in Boston today were a reminder that the world is not the same as it was when I was a naive numbskull in college. And as a suburban New Yorker, this attack, of course, instantly takes me back to that sunny Tuesday 12 years ago. This time it was not me in the vicinity but my son, in college, a mere five blocks down the road from the marathon's finish line. He walked by that area countless times over his still unfinished school career just like I walked through the concourse under the twin towers countless times in my work career.

He is fine but he, and his school, is shaken.

It was easy to forget that gold plunged, stocks tumbled and bonds rallied hard. It was gratifying to see a Facebook post saying NY was with Boston - an arch, archrival in sports. We are.

It is easy to wonder why all of this happens. It is easy to look over your shoulder for the next event. But that is not what we do here. We go about our business. We hoist a bird at the perpetrators. And we figure a way to make things better.  It was my honor and pleasure to drive right over the Throgs Neck bridge in New York City the very day of the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I knew the police had made sure it would be alright. And it was.

Like many, I now question why I continue to run with the rats instead of enjoying each day.

No comments: